Last week's dinner was exquisite! (I know, no surprise). I haven't posted a review of Ko in a while, so it's about time for an update. Creative and delicious--always a winning combination. Service was top notch. Chefs were very friendly to all of the guests. Here's what was on the menu:
1) amuses: oyster with apple seaweed vinegar; chicharron with togarashi salt; chicken soup with dumpling.
2) scallops with spicy whipped buttermilk and poppyseeds.
3) Beef carpaccio with arugula, black puffed rice, strawberries, feta cheese and olive powder.
4) smoked red pepper soup with langoustine, orange gels, toasted
5) smoked egg with hackleback caviar, onion soubise and fingerling potato chips. Side car of potato bread muffin. Brilliant dish made even better!
6) walnut agnolotti with fried sweetbreads, lobster mushroom, picked cherries, basil. I don't even like sweetbreads, and this was delicious!
7) halibut with corn tempura and corn puree.
8) shaved frozen foie gras with lychee, Riesling gelee and pinenut brittle.
9) deep fried short rib with peaches and onions. This was even a better version than in the past.
10) buttermilk ice cream with carrot cake and rye crumble.
11) honey sorbet with lemon thyme foam, bee pollen and milk crumble.
Special thanks and farewell to Richard and Jonathan; best wishes to you both!
Last year Ko added padding to the wood stools, and while I never found them uncomfortable, some people did and didn't want to spend 2 - 3 hours sitting on unpadded stools. The new stools are now very comfortable. It is unfortunate that due to the narrow space, Ko is unable to get chairs with backs.
Chef de Cuisine Sean Gray and his sous chefs have created a very exciting menu. Most of this menu was completely new to me. After four years, Ko is still at the top of its game!