Had a tough time getting resvs on a Tuesday night, but was offered Monday at 6:30. Well, I usually haven't even thought about dinner at that time, but went with the flow as we were a group of 4 (which, believe me, is a 'group' here - it really is tiny). Friendly welcome & charming waitress. We & another party of 4 were the only people there for about 1/2 hour, then more slowly trickled in. Nicely decorated, although it does feel cramped. Looks like it would be fun to sit at the bar & watch chefs - I'm not sure if they take resvs for that or not.
Rest of party ordered Schrug '03 Pinot Noir - nice nose, but harsh
I ordered glass of Merryvale Chard, which was delicious (should be at $12!)
Very Mixed reviews on the food:
- Butter lettuce salad was boring, but light & refreshing dressing
- Vegan Mushroom soup du jour was hearty & yummy - not creamy
- Seared foie gras on grilled Peach w/ smoked Bacon - I thought it was a grilled pear or apple & missed the bacon altogether, but it was very good & a fairly generous serving.
- Grilled Scallops in a Tangerine Sauce - nice citrusy sauce, but didn't taste the tangerine - really enjoyed this, except for the spoonful of mashed potatoes it rested on - why???
- Cured Pork Chop with pineapple salsa was good & moist. Huge chop. Not what I would order, but if you like pork chops...
- Seared Ahi very unusual with Pinot Noir sauce & winter veggies - cipolini onions, sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms - was different, but good. Two very large slices of ahi. I thought a little on the dry side, but maybe didn't get enough sauce on my taste.
- Fish special - Ono with long beans & a basil sauce - Another huge chunk, very very overcooked, dry & tough. I am so sick of things that really don't go being placed on top of a blob of mashed potatoes & there the were - yuck. Long beans were mixed in the mashed potatoes, so you had to pull them out & scrape them off if you wanted one. Sauce all soaked into the poatoes, instead of the fish so much in need of moistening. This was the one dish that really did not work at all.
Split the peach/apple cobbler - again, I didn't discern any peach, but this was delicious - on an incredible shortbread cookie base, with grilled apples, ice cream & a nice caramel sauce all over - yummm!!!
It was good, but I don't know if I'd go running back. Reviews have been either stellar or rather negative on this board - I lie somewhere inbetween - probably because we shared so many dishes.