I'm a former Milwaukeean who has been living in New york for the last decade. I'm coming back for a visit this summer and am overwhelmed at all of the new dining choices in my old home-town.
Besides the obvious stops that I'll be making: Five O'Clock Club, Kopps, Speed Queen, Zaffiro's, The King and I (dig that Volcano Chicken), George Webb's, Philly Way, At Random, Vitucci's possibly a PJ's sub or two...I'm wondering about a few things.
1) I'm going to have a family get together...not too big (maybe 12 people) and need advice on a good, casual, and not too pricey place for dinner. I'm thinking the Milwaukee Ale House or Cafe Hollander? Or maybe someplace cool and eclectic? Third Ward, Downtown, East Side are the best places. I was thinking La Perla since we're staying at The Iron Horse but then a bunch of Mexican food followed by a night of drinking could be a bad idea.
2) I want to take my wife out to a romantic spot. I've heard good things about Roots...is it any good? Any other choices?
3) I need a good fish fry. I went to one at Turner's last time I visited and it was OK...not as amazing as I remembered. Fish Fries that aren't on a Friday are good to know about too.
4) Steakhouse. I like it old-school; Coerper's and the Rafters is what I grew up with. I'm not so into the trying too-hard to be fancy places (i.e Carnevor) I can get that in New York. Some people I know swear by Butch's and Mo's. I kind of compare every steak to the ones at Coerper's 5 O'Clock (including Brooklyn's Peter Luger and let me tell you Coerper's beats them hands down)...I'd hate to go someplace else and be disappointed.
5) Any dog-friendly bars/restaurants? We're bringing our pooch and she loves to watch us drink.
Any and all suggestions are appreciated.