I'm going back to Miami soon- it's been 20 years- hard to believe that when I left, South Beach was a slum- I used to kid with my college friends, that we should buy one of those old art deco hotels for the dime you could get for them...if that were the case, I'd be hosting " The Apprentice".. anyway... these were some of my old faves in Miami area- love to here if they still exist...
1) Mike Gordon's- 79th street Causeway- simple, yet great seafood
2) Valenti's- somewhere way South on Dixie- One of the best Italian dinners I've ever eaten
3) Danny's in Surfside- great NY style deli- you didn't have to wait in line like RascaL House- does that still pack em in?
4) Laurenzo's Italian Supermarket-deli-restaurant- this was somewhere off 163rd street- they had an awesome cafeteria w italian specialties and salads..huge slabs of lasagna, and a great greek salad..
5) Mitch's Steak House- there was a little stretch of shops, restaurants, and old Hotels just N. of Collins and 71st Street- There was a polish deli- I think Stanley's, and an old Jewish deli w great knishes, Curry's from 1930 or so, and the Mitch's Steak House, where for less then $10 they would roll a cart to your table and hand-toss a caesar salad, finish off a huge steak in a sizzle pan with baked potato.... This was my favorite Miami restaurant.... My favorite pizza place was also next door, Sunshine Pizza!!!!!
5A) It closed before I moved, but Carl Eberhardt's on 71st Street- It was run by this really nice Hungarian couple- prob in their 70 or 80's by then, but the best Paprikash I ever had...
6) Honorable mentions- Prince Hamlet...Newport Pub..The Unicorn...The Spiral in Coral Gables..La Carreta....George's Super Subs on Tamiami Trail...also the Gold Star Deli on Tamiami Trail- 4-5-6 Chinese rest on 163rd... the 4 Ambassadors.. the Tin Lizzie on Biscayne Blvd for late nite fun...I hear it's still going strong, but the Forge was the place back then!!!
There's others, but would love to hear from you and your experiences at these places- Please let me know if any of these places are still around!!!!!