Okay. This is my first post to Chowhound. I have a question, and topically, its subject is a little broader than just food. But from reading your posts, a chowhound seems to be the kind of person who would agree with me when I say that I think food and culture are two sides of the same coin.
Anyway, I've read the "pork overdose" article, and it was helpful. I've read Ana and Enrique's post, but my Spanish is bad. Still, I'd like to know about more about sites that wouldn't make the average travel book.
So here's a short list of things I'd like to know:
1. I'm interested in restaurants that could exist nowhere but Mexico City. I'd like to know about great places for regional cuisine. (Interested in anything and everything from street vendors to haute cuisine, but I'm not interested in the best French restaurant in Mexico City.)
2. I'd like to know what the best culinary side trip is from the city. I'll probably be a little short on cash, so if you have advice about how to get there quickly, I'd love to hear about it.
3. What's the most fabulous old hotel bar in Mexico City?
4. Frankly, I like dive bars. Any advice on dive bars?
5. I'm looking for institutions of "low" culture... anything from a barber shop to farmer's markets, flea markets, junk shops, map sellers, etc.
I guess that's it. If you have information for me, I would love to pick your brain. Thanks!