Don't have time to write a full blown report but I wanted to say La Grillade was fantastic. Had an early dinner (as soon as they opened at 6:00) past Friday and just have to say they batted a thousand. Quick run down of what we tried:
- small plate - roasted garlic bulb with grilled bread, nice, creamy, rustic
- appetizer - artichokes "a la chapa" with grilled Chanterelles and hazelnut mayo, smokey with a riff on the classic artichoke/mayo combo, GF said the mushrooms deepened the earthiness of the artichoke
- main - pit roasted acorn squash stuffed with chestnuts and butternut squash - hearty and wonderful
- small plate - grilled tartine of ricotta, anchovies, charred tomatoes and olives, perfect bite, nice fresh anchovies
- appetizer - wood fired oysters with lemon thyme- shallot butter, insanely good for such a simple dish, grill didn't "cook" the oysters so much as warmed them up and apart a wonderfully subtle smoke, had a half dozen, could have had another half, these are a must have
- main - spit roasted whole Hudson Valley squab, close race between this and the oysters, great game taste, beautifully crisped skin, mouth watering thinking about it
Service super friendly and fun, while still being professional and efficient. Very good wine and beer recommendations.
Only drawback is it was very dark, I would have liked a little more light to better see my food.
I think I may like La Grillade even more than it's parent restaurant MAS Farm house (and that's saying something).
Mas (La Grillade)
28 7th Ave S, New York, NY 10014