A couple of weeks ago I started a new job and the office is located in one of those depressing buildings behind Fox Hills Mall off of Slauson. My schedule is flexible enough to allow for some exploration of the area, and as I intend to be working from home eventually, I would like to try some new places in that area while I have the chance. I think I can go a few miles in any direction from Fox Hills.
I've been scanning the board and making some lists. So far I've tried three new (to me) places - two good, one not so good.
1) Pann's - I really enjoyed the Dreamburger and absolutely loved the onion rings. Great place that I regret I never tried before now, given that I've driven by it about 1000 times.
2) Ayara Thai - I also liked this quite a lot. I had red curry (they call it ruby curry) with bamboo shoots and eggplant and tofu. The tofu had a wonderfully firm texture. I also had the most tea-flavored and not-overly-sweetened Thai iced tea that I've ever had, not that I've had that much Thai iced tea.
3) Sorrento Ital. market - I picked up a chicken parm sandwich and some marinated artichokes and didn't like either. The artichokes were practically tasteless. The sandwich was slapped together with less care than your local high school student would apply to a Quarter Pounder with Cheese. It was cheap but not worth it.
Now some questions:
1) Is there any decent sushi in the general area?
2) Should I get take-out from Phillip's bbq? What should I try? I don't like beef ribs but I do like links, chicken, pork ribs and brisket. Can I get a lunch-appropriate portion? I don't want a whole rack of ribs, for instance. Any other bbq suggestions?
3) Any other recs? Mexican? Sandwiches? I'm sure I'll head over to Surfas eventually and check out the cafe.