Last night my girlfriend and I enjoyed an amazing meal @ Los Balcones del Peru.
She has pretty fly Latino Credentials for a white chick from the Valley -- she is fluent in Spanish, she worked for a Peruvian for many years, and she sells TV and Movies to Latin America. So she has enjoyed the cuisine of Peru for many years...in Peru. I have none of the above and have only enjoyed the cuisine of Peru at Mario's Peruvian and Pollo La Brasa.
THIS MEAL WAS GREAT.
1) Peruvian Ceviche de Pescado...very, very good. It bested Mario's by its inclusion of both sweet and regular potatoes...the ceviche/onions/sauce where about the same.
2) Peruvian Corn w/Cheese and "yellow sauce." The corn was the huge kernel Peruvian corn (not easy to find in LA) and was absolutely scrumptious. GF loved the accompanying Peruvian cheese (I don't know the name of it), the sauce was blandish (but of a fun, garish, yellowy hue that was amusing on Halloween).
3) Side dish of Salted Toasted Peruvian corn (only brought out when the owner realized my GF knows her Peruvian food). I dare anyone to stop eating these morsels. Impossible to stop. Like the un-popped kernels at the bottom of your box at the movies but MUCH, MUCH BIGGER AND TASTIER so you can munch on them happily without cracking serious enamel.
4) Pollo Chicharon. Blew Mario's version away. the chicken was juicier, more flavorful and not battered.
5) Lomo Saltado. Also blew Mario's version away with far tastier onions, tomatoes, beef and fries.
Finally, L.B. del P. has a bar with beer and wine...something Mario's sorely lacks as well as ambience far more intriguing than an ancient Jonathan Gold write-up.
What a find...what an experience...what to eat after the Arclight (though they do close at 9 PM Sun-Thurs, 10 PM Fri-Sat but are open for lunch at 11 everyday). Apparently there a sister restaurant in the Valley called Las Tunas.
Thanks goes to Rabo Encendido, I believe, who posted on this place a while back.
1360 N. Vine Street (@ De Longpre)
Updated 1 year ago | 1
Updated 6 days ago | 75
Updated 16 days ago | 37
Updated 5 hours ago | 16
Updated 19 hours ago | 69