I have been to Las Reinas many times, but never to La Super Rica. This weekend, both on my way to and from a retreat north of Santa Barbara, I stopped for lunch at LSR.
The place has a tiny sign, but it does not need a sign - the huge line outside is the best advertisement of its location.
1) Tamal de Pescado - this is the special - dover sole fillets in a light masa, with a really wonderful white sauce.
2) #16 - the La Super Rica Special - this was pork, onions, and grilled strips of Pasilla chile, cooked with cheese, layered over 3 freshly made tortillas. This and 3) below convinced me that their cheese dishes are outstanding.
3) #14 - Chorizo special - this was small pieces of chorizo cooked with cheese - comes with tortillas also
4) #7 - tri-tip cooked with onions and bell peppers - this was the least impressive of the 4 dishes - my personal opinion is that their meats are not as intensely flavored through marination as at Las Reinas - some hounds like their meats not too flavored so they can taste the pure flavors of the meat itself - I like that in a good steak - but other meats (kebabs, for example) I prefer highly spiced. So if you stay away from the dry meat items, and order items that have the cheese to balance the flavors, you will find this is a truly great taqueria.
Their salsas also made a big impression on me:
1) Their tomato, onion, chile, lime, cilantro salsa was one of the best I have had in SoCal - it had a sharper bite to it than other places because of the amount of the jalapeno, but that was precisely what I liked about it, and the right amount of lime juice
2) Their red salsa had a slight hint of garlic, which I don't think I have come across earlier - that made it sing - not overpowering, but still you can taste it
3) Their green salsa gave me a true "Aha" moment - when I realized they use coriander seeds in its flavoring - turning it from a so-so salsa verde to one that I had to get extra helpings of - truly innovative
I prefer the meats at Las Reinas, but on my way past Santa Barbara, will try to stop at LSR. Also their menu is much larger than Las Reinas.
La Super-Rica Taqueria
622 N Milpas St, Santa Barbara, CA 93103-3032
Phone: (805) 963-4940