Pu Yuan at Old Klang Road must be the MOST inconspicuous restaurant ever! Housed in a little wooden building set away from a small lane which leads to Choong Wen Primary School on Old Klang Road, you wouldn't know you're standing in front of a restaurant if you don't look closely - they have a little sign in front, but no windows or glass door!
Inside are 2 large tables which can accomodate 8-10 pax each, and 7-8 smaller tables. It's air-conditioned.
- Stir-fried sweet potato flour noodles with fresh shrimps, Chinese cabbage & lots of pork lard. The gooey, transparent cellophane-like sweet potato flour noodles soaked up the flavors of the lard & flavorings beautifully. Absolutely addictive and a revelation!
- Stir-fried mung bean noodles (tung hoon) which is blander. Skip this if they have the rice noodles (bee hoon) fried with stewed pork (kau yoke).
- Hokkien meat-rolls, filled with minced pork, shredded carrots & turnips. Nice texture, a bit strong in its use of 5-spice powder, which can be overpowering.
- Crisp popcorn chicken, with crisp muesli-like coating. Very tasty.
- Stir-fried Romaine lettuce ("yau mak"), provided a light, crisp side accompaniment.
I'll definitely be back for the sweet-potato-flour noodles!!
Pu Yuan Restaurant
112, Batu 4 1/2 (look for the Choong Wen Primary School archway just before Old Kuchai Road market),
Jalan Klang Lama
58000 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-7982 4410
Operating hours: 11.30am–3.00pm, 6.00pm–10.00pm.