My fiancée and I are in the process of registering for our wedding and we’re trying to figure out if we should upgrade my current KitchenAid stand mixer, and if so, which model to request.
I currently own a KA Classic mixer, purchased in 1989. It still runs great (even with a slightly chipped gear from trying to knead dark rye dough.) It works great, but it bogs down sometimes when I’m getting ambitious with a recipe.
If I keep the old mixer, is it difficult to fix a gear?
If I were to upgrade, what model?
1. There are a ton of different models out, and I’m not sure which ones overlap. Classic, Ultra Power, Accolade, Artisan, Heavy Duty, Professional 5, 500, 600, 620. I know that the classic is the low end of the line. Where do the Ultra Power, Accolade and Artisan models fit in?
2. Professional lift or Consumer Tilt?
• Do the lift mixers fit on the counter under the cupboard?
• The pro models use stainless steel gears. What do the tilt models use? Do any tilt models use stainless gears? Is this an important thing to consider?
• The pro models offer electronic speed control, overload protection and soft-start. Do any tilt models offer this, or are they all non-electronic?
• What is the longevity of the professional vs consumer models?
Thanks for any and all advice!