Fantastic lunch today at Kantri, a palatial, atmospheric restaurant set amidst lush greenery. The furnishings were mainly carved teakwood,and some pieces looked like they belong in a sultan's palace rather than a restaurant. The food offered was typically East Javanese, i.e. lots of deep-fried stuff, with spicy "sambal terasi" dips on the side.
What we had:
- Ayam goreng (fried chicken)
- Sayur kangkung goreng (stir-fried water spinach)
- Braised egg tofu with broccoli (Chinese-influenced dish here)
- Deep-fried, battered soft-shell crabs
- Buntot bakar (roasted ox-tail)
- Ikan nila goreng - crisp-fried fish which one can eat bones & all
We rather enjoyed the place - excellent ambience, with a large pond below filled with carp & other fish. The food was average to good.
Bale Agung Kantri
Jl Raya Singgosari 169
Malang, Jawa Timur