In light of how unprepared we were for last year's storm and three weeks worth of power outages, this year we're all set if Hurricane Sandy (Arf!) makes its way to Connecticut.
Make ahead food to have on hand and keep in the cooler: Beef Stew, Chicken Noodle Soup, Italian Sunday Gravy with Chicken, Meatballs and Sausage.
Also have set:
- Canned/shelf stable provisions
- Peanut butter and peanut butter filled crackers, flatbread
- Apples, oranges, pineapple, tomatoes, carrots, celery
- Boxes of shelf stable packaged milk
- A few Boy Scout MRES (only as a LAST resort)
- Tons of dry/canned cat food for the wee ones
- Bottles of tap water filled for drinking/cooking
- A rainbarrel of water for sanitary/cleaning and toilet flushing
- Several bags of ice and frozen blocks of ice, will use in our coolers to keep perishables fresh
- Flashlights, lanterns, candles, batteries, matches, crank radio, firewood
- Air mattress in case we need to sleep in our living room, heated by our fireplace
- An extra battery for my cell phone in case my existing one dies out and I can't recharge it right away
- We have a propane grill (refilled the propane tank), charcoal grill (new bag of charcoal), and a Colman gas camping grill.
- Beer and wine. Why suffer in agony.
Any other ideas or tips?