Houston's says the patty itself is vegan but the bun is grilled in butter which makes it so good!! They're so expensive in NYC $18, so this is my version which is pretty close to the taste & lot cheaper. I'm impressed, that I made extra batch of patties and froze them. If you have any suggestion to improve, please let me know.
2 tablespoons Soy
2 tablespoons Molasses
2 tablespoons Honey
2 tablespoon Hoisin
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice (I used pre-cooked frozen rice from Wholefoods)
2 cups Soaked,cooked dry black beans, drained or (15 ounce) can black beans rinse& drained
1/4 cup oat bran
1/2 white onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 beets,roasted, finely chopped or 2 tablespoons of canned beets (drained & chopped)
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
2 Medjool dates, diced could also use prunes/ figs
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 egg portion of Ener-G Egg Replacer (to bind) or 2 egg whites
2 teaspoons olive oil
1. Homemade BBQ Sauce - Stir together 2 tablespoons each of Soy, Molasses, Honey and Hoisin. set to the side.
2. Salute Onion & Garlic until soft, not brown. At same time Roast two beets -little olive oil and salt sealed in aluminum foil at 375 till soft to the touch.
3. In a large bowl, mash the beans slightly. Stir in 3 tablespoons of the barbecue mixture (reserving remaining for brushing) and remaining ingredients -- rice through Ener-g egg. Place in Refrigerator for 1 hour prior to forming into into four 6 oz patties.
4. Get a cast iron skillet smoking, add a coat of olive oil. Grill burgers for 2 minutes on one side. Turn and brush with remaining BBQ sauce mixture, Top with your version of cheese if you wish & grill for another 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
5. Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions and mustard on a bun which has been grilled in Earth Balance vegan butter spreads.
I think it nailed the patty really close to Houston's/Hillstone, but their homemade bun is very special too.
by Jen Wheeler | Holiday baking season means lots of cookies, and we have plenty of great Christmas cookie recipes...
by Jen Wheeler | At Christmas time, there are cookies galore, but true dessert lovers still crave something more substantial...
by Mijon Zulu | Want some crack? I mean, crackle? People who have had it love it and it takes less than an hour to...
by Caitlin M. O'Shaughnessy | Since August 4 is National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day, we rounded up the very best chocolate chip cookie...