So anyone know any good Halloween cocktails? Not just 80's & 90's ones, but cocktails that actually have some quality presence and flavor to them? And fit the theme?
I just picked up David J. Montgomery's "Zombie Horde" cocktail book, which is all about the history of the Zombie cocktail, and all the historical variations, as well as present day. 193 pages of Zombie's. As I leafed through it I came across one of Martin Cate's recipes from last year. I remember reading about it, and I even think we had a discussion here. The Zombie Apocalypse, which has to be THE Halloween cocktail recipe.
Martin Cate's The Zombie Apocalypse (2012)
6 oz. Crushed Ice
1 oz. Fresh Lime Juice
1/2 oz. Cinnamon Syrup
1/2 oz. Falernum
1/2 oz. Curacao
1 1/2 oz. Rhum Barbancourt Five Star
1/2 oz. Brainwashed Rum*
1 scant barspoon Crème de Violette
1 dash Elemakule Tiki Cocktail Bitters
1 tsp. Grenadine
1 1/2 lbs. Fresh Calf Brains, Sliced into 1-inch Cubes
1 tsp. Fresh Thyme Leaves
1/2 tsp. Ground Cloves
1/2 tsp. Ground Cayenne Pepper
1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Salt
4 tbsp. Unsalted Butter
3 oz. Lemon Hart 151 Demerara Rum
1. Make the brainwashed rum: In a small bowl, place the brains, thyme, cloves, cayenne, cinnamon and salt and toss to coat.
2. In a large skillet over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add one piece of the brains and brown on all sides until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the browned brain nugget to a paper-towel-lined plate. Once cool, cover with plastic and refrigerate until ready to use.
3. Transfer the drippings from the skillet to a glass jar. Add the Demerara, cover, and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours. Transfer the container to the freezer and chill for 2 hours longer.
4. Remove the jar from the freezer and skim off the frozen fat from the surface. Strain the liquid through a coffee-filter-lined fine-mesh strainer and refrigerate until ready to use.
5. Make the cocktail: In a blender jar, add the ice, lime juice, cinnamon syrup, falernum, curacao, Rhum Barbancourt, 1/2 oz. brainwashed rum, crème de violette and the bitters and pulse until slushy, 2 to 3 seconds. Pour the contents into a zombie glass or pint glass and add enough ice to fill the glass to 1/2 inch from the top.
6. Remove the browned brain from the refrigerator and pierce with a small wood skewer. Lay the skewer across the top of the drink. Drizzle the grenadine over the brain and into the drink. Serve with trepidation.