His Uselessness is starting college this fall,and this morning we were sorting through my (our) (I am a gadget-a-holic) kitchen for what he "needs" for his small limited space on campus apt. He gets a cabinet and a half. Mind you, everything listed is a duplicate that he is allowed to take (the last two years if I saw a sale I bought for him). Not counting standard utensils/drawer items like flatware, can opener, etc. There is no oven, but a microwave is standard.
1) TFAL actifry. (easy for fast unattended meals, fits in cabinet)
2) Vita-Mix (My wife is thrilled to be rid of one - I hoard them. My best was a $6.99 unused unit from the SA)
3) (Crying over this) One of my Mirromatic speed grills. Not made anymore and the absolute best thing for grilled sandwiches. Can also be used as a toaster. He wrecks the teflon coating and he dies.
4) Souis Vide unit and vacuum sealer. Torch is against rules :)
5) Small automatic rice cooker (A $300 list Zoshi I picked up for $4 and replaced the battery on for $10 in parts, not their $150 charge)
6) Induction cooktop (The one he gets is a nuwave unit I saw unused in box for $3.99) plus a decent skillet that barely will fit in the cabinet)
7) His GF wants the west bend "bread for one" bread maker. Great for last minute fast rolls. I gifted it to her as I can pick up another for $10. Should not be included in the cabinet stuff as SHE WILL NOT BE SHARING THE APT. (That is my belief and I am sticking to it).
8) A few misc microwave accessories (including a pizza crisper that my father designed) since a microwave comes with. I also have a couple of "real" stone based pizza ovens if his roommates want one.
9) Air popcorn popper as pre-packaged microwave popcorn is unhealthy
10) gadgets: A sushi "Bazooka" (he loves "slim jim" "sushi"), an as seen on tv Sprilizar for veggies for the actifry, sushi and salads, a small french fry cutter (you have to cut the potatoes in half first).
11) IF, and ONLY IF there is counter space with his roommates agreeing, an automatic yoghurt maker. No need to pre-heat the milk. The GF is really pushing for this.
OK, as far as I am concerned, he is set for life, not just colledge.
So any other suggestions? Funny and over the top comments are appreciated.
by Jen Wheeler | At Christmas time, there are cookies galore, but true dessert lovers still crave something more substantial...