I just returned to Boston from North Carolina, and I just wanted to thank everyone for their recommendations. There are several places you mentioned that I really want to get to next time (with Keaton's being at the top of the list). I wont' bore you with details, but here are the restaurants I went to, in order from favorite to least favorite (taking into consideration atmosphere, service, and overall experience, as well as food):
1) Flying Frog Cafe, Asheville
2) Que Sara, Black Mountain
3) Jerusalem Garden Cafe, Asheville
4) Carolina Brewery, Chapel Hill
5) Asheville Pizza and Brewing Company, Asheville
6) Salsa's, Asheville
7) Carolina Coffee Shop, Chapel Hill
8) Fat Buddy's Ribs and BBQ, Waynesville
Other than perhaps Fat Buddy's, I pretty much liked every meal I had, with the Flying Frog and Jerusalem Garden having the best food. I also loved the food at Salsa's, but it didn't love me! And for atmosphere, the Flying Frog and the Carolina Coffee Shop were probably most memorable.
Thanks again! Hope to be back soon!