Oh my. This place is a real treat. The food was simply outstanding, the presentation was aesthetically pleasing, and the service was attentive.
1) Mushrooms steamed in foil packet of ponzu sauce - the mushrooms were steaming hot as we opened the foil package. There were enoki mushrooms, shitakes, and several other varities I could't identify but they were all yummy. They were tender but still had the chewiness of nicely cooked mushrooms.
2) Sliced duck breast cooked in an egg and mirin stew. The duck was tender and the egg scallion mixture it was encased in provided a nice contrast to the meat.
3) Pork Kikune - By far the best pork kikune I've ever had. Salty, sweet, and just bursting with slow cooked bacon flavor. Perfect, perfect.
4) Eggplant in miso - Grilled, smoky, and full of sweet miso flavor.
5) Friend chunks of monkfish - Fresh, hot, deep fried fish. Yum.
We also ordered the gommae which was nicely dressed with a creamy seasame sauce that wasn't too sweet, a red miso soup and regular miso soup with clams. All were delicious.
There were so many other things we wanted to try that we will definitely be back. This is easily my favorite izakaya restaurant in the LA area right now - it might be favorite restaurant right now period!
I found out about this place on chowhound. You hounders rock!