Will try to make this as brief as possible-excuse the typos and some descriptions as I couldn't understand everything server mumbled to me. Btw server acted so uninterested with his job-more like a robot performing his tasks which was one of biggest negatives but I ignored and concentrated on food. Atmosphere-very minamalist and comfortable with lively rock music. Food courses spread out over a two hour interval. You can order from wine, sake, or beer list or have them pair wines for you. We went with 2 choices of sake which worked out well and ended up with a Rose lambrusco for final course of meat. Now the menu we had:
1) Chicarones with togarashi-ie-pork rinds w spicy Japanese pepper powder-nice crackle to start the evening.
2) Black pepper and mirin bisquit-a tiny bisquit wich was extremely buttery and served warm
3) Sliced diver scallops w uni and "shard" apple-at least that's what I heard-could have been "charred"-anyway nice dish, refreshing especially w seet uni.
4)Pork belly slice w bousilei oyster and grilled rice in a kim chee consomee-a smokey flavorful dish with a leaf of nappa cabbage-sort of like a very civilized "bosamm".
5) Hand torn oasta w snail sausage and peccorino cheese topped with crispy fried chen skin-one of my favorite dishes esp. the snail sausage which I found out was made with escargots and chicken.
6)Seared halibut with picked cauliflower , crips ham slice ans asparugus puree-not the best dish probably due to fact i expected fish not to be so dry but decent nonetheless.
7) shaved foie gras over lichee and reisling jelly and pine nut brittle-very delightful dish-sounds wierd but very interesting and taste reminiscent of liverwurst. Its all about enjoying different textures with this dish.
8)14 day old dried sirloin with white trumpet mushroom, pickled oinion and jalapeno puree-very nice entree and perfect sized portion-meat was quite tasty and just the right amount of heat to spice things up.
9)Guava sorbet w cream cheese glaze-nice guava taste.
10) Pretzel ice cream, fried cheddar and granny smith apple-this was a so so dish.
I enjoyed my tasting meal but not blown away as I anticipated. I am glad I tried it. Major complaint on my part is what I percieved as a very disinterested staff/chefs-they really should try and act like the care a little especially for the price which came out to $460 for 2 including tip. For my money-I will head straight to Momofuko noodle bar next time which I always love!!