So, been frustrated for years about this. Ironically these days, one of the hardest to find foodstuffs is one that used to be one of the most banal and ubiquitous in America- pot roasts, Sunday dinner roasts, etc.
I get a craving very often for a good roast with good gravy, maybe root vegetables, definitely potatoes, etc., and it's downright impossible to find in NYC for delivery. Even if I were to go sit-down, finding something like this easily and affordably ($20-$30?) seems difficult. But as said, for delivery, downright impossible (I'm located around midtown). These are the only options it seems:
- Braised short ribs of some form or another. Problem: not the cut I want, not the sauce I want (usually wine-based, not a gravy), usually not the accompaniments I want.
- Osso bucco- sauce is wrong, all of it just too far from the mark.
- Diner varieties- taste downright awful. Am not being a snob- have tried, they suck.
- Jewish deli varieties- unfortunately a flop as well. Usually they can do American fare pretty well (Sarge's rocks for most things, for example), but have not found anything reliable on this front.
- Steakhouses- just don't have this on the menu anymore, seemingly anywhere.
So there you have it. I have New American and steak places that don't have it on the menu probably for 10-20 years, Italian options that don't satisfy, low end ones that also don't for their own reasons, etc.
Man, 30-40 years ago this was probably to be found in every other restaurant.