Holiday Sweepstakes: You Could Win* a Hammered Copper Cooking Set and More Enter the Giveaway

Follow us:

General Discussion 35

Eating moldy foods?

zackly | Dec 28, 201403:25 PM

Do you eat moldy foods? I do sometimes. Recently while cleaning out my refrigerator I found hidden in the back a large (about a quart) container of chili that I had made and forgotten about. It had some mold on the surface. It was initially handled correctly, cooked cooled & refrigerated so this mold grew long after the chili was below 40 degrees. I scraped off about ½ inch until I was well below the margins of the mold. I brought it to a boil and ate it without concern or any apparent ill effects. I’ve done this too with tomato sauce and other things. I know the medical community frowns against this but I’m sure it’s an everyday occurrence in restaurants, I’m thinking diners, that have menus as large as telephone books. They can’t or don’t prep all the items regularly. Other than hard cheeses and cured meats like pepperoni, do you scrape the mold of foods and eat them?

Want to stay up to date with this post? Sign Up Now ›
Log In or Sign Up to comment

Recommended from Chowhound

Catch up on the latest activity across all community discussions.
View latest discussions