It’s getting hot in the Twin Cities, again, which means it’s ready for me to plan my annual escape to the cool beauty of Duluth and Superior. We’ll still have our bikes along and will again be staying in that Park Point/Canal Park area.
• Anything new and exciting developments in the chow-scene in the last year or so?
• Any uphill or downhill alerts?
• Hell’s Kitchen was new last time I was there—has anyone tried the dinner there yet?
• That cute little family-owned market on Park Point, Bayside Market, where they make their own sausages etc.-- is it still open?
• The funny cheese shop/souvenir shop on Barker's Island next to the Boathouse Restaurant, is it any good?
• I keep hearing good things (here on chowhound) about Russ Kendall's Smokehouse--is that in/near/en route to Duluth?
As I (perhaps over) documented in this thread from last year, our stops included http://www.chowhound.com/topics/429382
• Hell's Kitchen (Canal Park, Duluth MN)—loved it, of course
• Boathouse Restaurant (Barker’s Island, Superior WI)—enjoyed this very much
• Fitgers Brewhouse (Duluth, MN)—not bad, and easily accessible by bike
• Grandma's Saloon and Grill (Canal Park, Duluth MN)—mostly not great, I do like some of their wild rice dishes and it is a Duluth institution
• Amazing Grace Bakery and Cafe (Canal Park, Duluth MN)—didn’t love it as much as I wanted to, but will still probably stop again
• Bellisio's (Canal Park, Duluth, MN)—not great, but not bad and I’m a sucker for a nice patio
• Sir Benedict's Tavern (Duluth, MN)—fun stop with our bikes
Places that we wanted to try but get a chance to:New Scenic Café, Nokomis, Portland Malt Shoppe, Chester Creek Café, Starvin' Marvin's, Mexico Lindo in downtown Cloquet, Positively Third Street. Are these all still worth exploring?
And, I got some great tips for the route from debbie421’s excellent “en route to Duluth from the Twin Cities” post, but any additional suggestions for the route to and fro would most certainly be welcome! http://www.chowhound.com/topics/53060... (Congrats to diesel, by the way, for the addition of a new chowpuppy to her household).
As always, thank you for sharing your thoughts!