This post is late by several months. I'm listing the dishes we ordered
in honor of a new expedition to the Pearl this weekend.
Note that this was a mixed party, some chowhounds, some not, so not
all the menu choices were particularly adventurous.
From the cold food counter up front:
* Pig's ears
Spicy, oily, full of Sichuan pepper
* Garlic Cucumber in Sesame Oil
* Seaweed and Green Onion Salad with Hot Pepper
Entrees from the regular menu:
* (#112) Sichuan Cold Noodles with Special Sauce
chewy, spaghetti-like noodles; refreshing crunchy pickle bits
* (#056) Quick-Fried Beef with Green Chinese
a standard "beef in brown sauce" type dish
* (#050) Fish-Flavored Dried Shredded Pork
sweet, umame, chewy
* (#081) Ma Po Tofu
stinging! ka-pow! Sichuan pepper flavor
* (#093) Balsam Pear with White Sauce
"balsam pear" turns out to be another name for bitter melon. This
was bitter melon in a very light, almost tasteless sauce. Which
means this dish was bitter, baby, bitter. But I like bitter, so it
was cool. Actually this dish made a nice condiment for some of
the other richer dishes.
* (#016) Pickled Green Vegetable with Duck Soup
gamy, sour, with "small, orange fruity seedy vegetables" -- what I
found out later were vine berries (I think that's the right name).
* (#054) Shredded Pork with Dry Bean Curd
* (#001) Fried Chicken Cubes with Hot Pepper
a giant pile of dried, stir-fried peppers with a dainty garnish of
chicken cubes -- by far the hottest dish we had
* (#018) Chung Qing-Style Hot Chopped Chicken
chicken pieces in spicy marinade -- many unusual pieces, feet,
On a previous visit, Mrs. Ice Cream Machine brought me back what
must have been Fish-Flavor Eggplant, which a Hong Kong-born friend
of ours picked out. It was one of the two best eggplant dishes
I've ever had (and I love eggplant).
Oriental Pearl Restaurant
621 W Main St
Alhambra, CA 91801-3311
Phone: (626) 281-1898