I just recently came across this picture and the Mushroom sauce topped on whatever this is looks absolutely divine.
I've always been interested in making a Mushroom Sauce but never really had a goal as such - now that this picture caught my attention, this is the Goal Post for me on Mushroom Sauces - I really can't connect on the flavor of this one but I'd like to achieve a sauce with the following characteristics
1. Medium Consistency - not too runny and not thick - should just about coat the back of a spoon.
2. The color of the sauce in this picture is perfect - lightly color indicating not an overcooked sauce
3. I would like to get a very subtle sweetness from the sauce - not sure whether sugar or natural sweetness from an onion sounds better
4. A tang would be great either but not the kind that's going to throw this sauce in the direction of Mayonnaise
5. Mushroom flavor is a must - It was must be prominent in the sauce