I know there have been many, many threads about finger foods and/or appetizers, and I have benefitted from them a LOT over the years, so I thought I'd share pics of all the stuff I made for a holiday open house we had over the weekend. I prefer to make stuff that can be eaten in a bite or two and don't require utensils. I also look for things that I can prep in advance and freeze or keep in the fridge. It keeps me sane the day of (as does a very well planned spreadsheet and schedule!). Happy to share recipes for any of the items.
- Caprese salad skewers, served with a 12-year old balsamic vinegar for dipping
- Mini chicken bastilla/basteeya (made in advance and frozen, unbaked)
- Gougeres (made in advance and frozen, baked, warmed the day of)
- Moroccan-spiced shrimp
- Stuffed mini potatoes: one with bacon, chives, cheddar and sour cream; one with roasted eggplant and pepper (I cheated on this and used a Trader Joe's dip, which was excellent)
- Platter of locally-made salumi (lonza, fennel cacciatore, prosciutto, pecorino romano)
- Thai meatballs with a Thai dipping sauce (meatballs prepped in advance and frozen -- baked the day of)
- Hummus (another cheat -- store bought!) with zataar and olive oil (served with veggies)
I'll post the sweets photos in a reply. :)
by Greg Stegeman | Barbecue sauce is a blanket term that doesn't necessarily do justice to all the regional styles of...
by Joey Skladany | As a self-proclaimed sauce connoisseur and fan of barbecue varieties specifically, I was more than...
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week.