I was feeling adventurous, and here is a list of (widely varying) wines that I bought without knowing much about them. I would love to hear about their histories, as well as both flavor descriptions and suggested meal pairings. Thanks!
1. Avignonesi/Capanelle: 50 % 50 (2000) A Tuscan blend of equal parts Sangiovese and Merlot. By far the most costly of this bunch.
2. Frecciarossa: Uvarara (2005). An IGT from Lombardia, the name means "strange grape", and I'd like to be prepared for it!
3. Galiciano: ALAIA: Vino de la Tierra de Castilla y Leon (2004). A Spanish blend of Prieto Picudo, Tempranillo, and a touch of Merlot.
4. Stormhoek: Pinotage, Western Cape, South Africa (2005). This is the only wine with a screw cap that I have ever bought.
5. William Fevre: Gran Cuvee Carmenere (2005) from Chile.
6. Maryhill: Winemaker's Blend (2005). Washington State blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah and Cabernet Franc.
I realize this is somewhat of a motley crew- but what can I say, I like to take risks... all comments are appreciated!