My wife and I are fairly new to Birmingham, but here is a list with of some of my favorite restaurants and also some that seem to be enjoyed by a lot of the regulars people on Chowhound that we want to try soon. I was wondering what dishes people get at these places that are 'must haves'.
(Note...I realize a lot of these places change their menu)
3. Bottega Cafe
4. Chez Fon Fon
6. Iguana Grill
8. Mr Chens
1. Ocean -- Haven't perfected this order. Last time I went I got crab cakes which were some of the best I have ever had and the Nori Tuna which was very good but not amazing.
2. Highlands -- never been
3. Bottega Cafe -- Mac & Cheese is probably the best thing I have had here
4. Chez Fon Fon -- We usually get the Burger and an omelette, but I have heard the trout with brown butter is also delicious.
5. Gianmarcos -- We have never been
6. Iguana Grill -- We have only been once and got the Stone plate with Pork Chops, Steak and Chorizo. It was was good and definitely a unique dish (came with cactus). Next time I go, I would like to try the tamales and chile relleno.
7. Bettola -- The filleto might be the best pizza I have ever had (Buff Mozzarella, basil, cherry tomatoes, olive oil, sliced garlic and sea salt). We usually start with an antipasti platter with our favorite part being the canellini bean puree.
8. Mr. Chens -- never been, but I love potstickers and heard they are very good here.
9. Jinsei -- Never been but I have heard good things about the Kadoma Tuna and the Yellowtail Serrano