I am actually a PA Chowhound, but having just spent a week's vacation in Bennington, I thought I'd report my top 5 (and one to avoid). Service was great in all of these places...Bennington is a great place to visit!
1. Hunter's (wonderful steaks, fabulous salad bar, tremendous views-everyone in the family voted it number one)
2. Carmody's (very good French onion soup, reasonable prices)
3. Peppermill (most items tried were quite good, one (swordfish) not quite to my taste)
4. Blue Benn Diner (authentic diner experience, very good food but not as good as the other 3)
5. Top Notch Diner (great breakfast)
Avoid: Jensen's. Felt obligatged to try it since it has been around for 45 years. Surprisingly poor.