I'll be spending a week in Bend this winter and I was wondering if anyone has any updates. I was there for one night this summer and was very impressed (and, I must confess, surprised, given the location and population) with the chow possibilities. Based on what I saw on my visit and reading this board, I'm thinking...
Plan to visit:
- Merenda (we ate a full meal there before, this time it'll probably be some wine flights and small plates)
- Alpenglow (for breakfast)
- Village Baker (for cinammon hives)
- Bend and Deschutes Breweries (to retry and try, respectively, the beers, but probably won't eat much if any)
- Toomies Thai (curious to see if it really is on par with the best of SFO and PDX)
- Barcelona (I read no negatives other than a little pricey, so as a tapas lover it's a must try)
Not sure about:
- Scanlon (it's been recommended; can anyone provide details and/or dish recommendations?)
- Super Burrito and/or Taco Stand (I am very serious when it comes to Mexican food. I want to know where the Mexicans who live in Bend eat; are these the places?)
- Cork (another high-end option, the menu looked great, but how is it?)
- Cibelli's (don't feel the need for NYC pizza)
- Pine Tavern (negative reports)
- Guiseppe's (negative reports)
Anyone want to talk me into moving a restaurant from one category to another? Any new places you've found in Bend that should go on my list?
Lastly, does anyone have any recommendations for a good source of organic groceries and produce; someplace to stock up on good food when I don't want to eat in a restaurant?
by Joey Skladany | Spring has officially sprung, which means it's out with the old and in with the new. And when it comes...
by Colleen Rush | It's Carnival season in New Orleans: a period of celebration, indulgence, and debauchery leading up...
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week.