I ordered a Hoptical Illusion tonight at a pub; a solid brew. But I just felt a little weird saying to the bartender "I'll have a pint of the Hoptical Illusion". (This is particularly embarrassing when said within earshot of a "local" drinking a Bud). I then thought about other beers that I really like but that I'm often embarrassed to say the name of including:
- Middle Ages' "Wailing Wench"
- Orkney Brewery's "SkullSplitter"
- G.G. Brewpub's "Smoke Gets In Your Rye"
- G.G. Brewpub's "Amber(ly) Eyes"
- Bell's "Two Hearted Ale" (which I've mistakenly called "Twiced Loved" (due to the use of a heart symbol on the label) and "Once Bitten Twice Shy")
- Downtown Brown (multiple breweries have stumbled upon this clever rhyme)
So I find myself trying to name the beer that I want by a more generic name (e.g. stout, brown, wench). But inevitably the bartender gets confused and I'm forced to say the full name.
Note: Any beer with a French name I adore saying even if the actual meaning is a bit contrived sounding: La Fin Du Monde, Maudite, Eau Benite . . .
Updated 1 year ago | 5
Updated 28 days ago | 0
Updated 6 months ago | 8
Updated 4 months ago | 7
Updated 2 months ago | 9