My family and I will be visiting the in-laws (in Lafayette) over the Thanksgiving weekend. I have a couple of requests:
1) My wife is taking me to Gary Danko to celebrate my 40th birthday. Are there any "must-orders"? I'm a foodie, but have rarely gone to any really top-notch/expensive restauarants...prefering to find the cheap gems. Consequently I'm leaning towards trying things like foie gras and sweetbreads...things I just don't the opportunity to taste. Good choices? Anything else I must try?
2) Whenever we visit the area I like to take my two sons (7 and 10) on the BART and just explore. Since we are geeks, we usually end up at Endgame in Oakland (12th St BART) and then the Shattuck area of Berkeley. When we are out and about, where should we eat? We did bakesale betty's last year (pretty good, but not "talk about a year later good.") I'm looking for something with "wow" factor. Of course these are kids, so sweets are good (was thinking that Crixa Cakes might be good)..but I'm struggling for lunch. Zachary's looks good, but I know it's not really a favorite of the board.
1) What to order at Gary Danko?
2) Where to take my boys that is close to BART, preferable in the Lafayette/Oakland/Berkeley triangle?
3) Bonus question: Must buys at the Ferry building on Sunday? Going to spend day there before Gary Danko.
Thanks for the help.