i've just heard about this site and after browsing through the message boards, i've decided to add my own two cents to the state of dining in ann arbor/detroit! last weekend my family came to visit me and afterwards my brother said it was the best he'd ever eaten. this is where i took them...
1. pizza papalis. the *best* pizza in detroit - excellent deep dish, nice spicy pepperoni, and the veggie is loaded. a bit pricy for your typical pizza, but it's well worth it.
2. the majestic. i really like this spot in the cultural center of detroit. they have a great brunch on the weekends (unfortunately, i came too late for delia's) with great omlettes, banana nut french toast, blueberry cream cheese waffles, and the best ribs i've had here yet. the decor is interesting - exposed brick, open windows, and matisse-inspired murals.
3. los galanes - mexicantown. the brunch buffet is awesome, you have your typical tamales and enchiladas, as well as authentic soups and beef and chicken dishes. make sure you get the homemade corn tortillas and wash everything down with a margarita.
4. new parthenon - greektown. pretty tasty fare here and right next to the casino to boot!
in ann arbor:
1. red hot lovers - the best hot-dog i've ever had in my life. nice crispy casings that snap when you bite into them, poppy seed buns. and the waffle fries are so good, crunchy on the outside nice and soft on the inside.
2. bella napoli (this is right next door from red hot lovers) - best pizza in ann arbor. this is a new restaurant and was sorely needed in the s. university area. the slices are generous and slightly toasted on the bottom. while you wait, you can listen to the employees talk to each other in italian. this place has a definite family feel.
and i didn't take them to zingermans, although i meant too! it's the quintessential ann arbor experience.
whew - after all that, i'm starving!take care,