watching taped back episodes of Molto Mario led to a great new Sunday rainy day dinner...the recipe posted on Food Network is a little different from what I saw on the show, and is for cardoons, so I just played it back and went for it...
Agnello con i Carciofo
- rough dice one large white onion, or equiv, and a bit of pancetta (or non-smokey bacon) - set aside
- boned lamb shoulder roast, cut into large chunks and salted
(brown in a hot Dutch Oven on the top of the stove, with a little olive oil)
- trim fresh artichokes while your meat is browning
(it's not too hard - but you'll have to find out how elsewhere. I'm new to it myself.
what you need to end up with is quartered hearts with the peeled stem attached. rub lemon on them as you go so they don't turn brown. Use anywhere from 3 to 8 artichokes)
- when it's time to turn over the meat, add 2 or 3 T of tomato paste and let it fry up in the pot. Add onions and pancetta and some chili flakes (start with 1 tsp, depends on your taste)
Let all that cook a couple minutes. Add your raw artichokes, and enough water to almost cover everything. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and let it simmer for 40 minutes, uncovered.
- finish with a little lemon, and fresh chopped parsley
we ate it with garlic sauteed spinach and rustic bread, but it would be nice over pasta as well