They serve breakfast lunch and dinner.
I just stopped by to check out the menu, but the soup of the day was clam chowder ... and never one to pass up chowder, I took some home.
This was a very respectable version that is potato based and thickened. The first spoonful made me think it was only going to be potato soup but the clams had settled to the bottom and once stirred there was nice clam flavor with obviously fresh chopped clams.
I had clam chowder the day before on Fisherman's Wharf at The Franciscan. That was a good version, similarily potato-based. However, the chowder at Bistro 1491 made it obvious the differnce between merely good chowder and very good chowder. This was richer the difference with using fresh clams, though not a lot, just put it on a higher level.
They try to use organic ingredients and use eco-friendly practices. The web site has more info.
There is absolutely no trace of Walkers with the exception of the green tiles outside. The interior is now yellow. The website has a little picture
Standard breakfast scrambles, omelets pancakes, French toast. A few of the more creative dishes
- Beef Short Rib Hash - Yukon Gold Potato, Onions, Bell Peppers, Poached Eggs and Hollandaise Sauce
- Smoked Salmon Breakfast Panini - Dill Cream Cheese, Arugula, Red Onion and served with Fresh Fruits
- Almond Crusted Vanilla French Toast.- Sweet Egg Brioche, Cinnamon, Honey Mascarpone Cream Cheese, Maple Syrup
Some lunch and dinner items
- Eggplant Fries - Basil Aioli and Spicy Marinara
- Crispy Ginger Calamari - Semolina crusted Baby Squid with Green Onion Aioli
- Crispy Pork Tenderloin Sandwich - Red Leaf Lettuce, Onion Sprouts, and Cranberry Aioli on Sourdough
- Seafood Quesadilla
- Pan Roasted Miso-Sake Marinated Butterfish Dried Mango Israeli Couscous, Baby Bok Choy, and Yuzu Miso Sauce
It seems like a place that would satisfy adventurous and timid eaters. There are items like short ribs, rack of lamb and even surf and turf. There's one vegan entree.
From the website ... " Our chef worked in the Five-Star restaurant, White Orchid, award winning restaurant, Romanza, and the Duck Club at the Lafayette Park Hotel"
The name comes from the address, 1491 Solano Ave.
1491 Solano Ave, Albany, CA