Ambiance: Tea is held in the back dining room that opens out to the courtyard. Room has wood panelled walls, china cabinets in the corners, couches in front of fireplace, and tables with linen and cute English tea cups (cream/red floral pattern) and silver ware.
Service: we were seated promptly and explained the simple menu. Our food arrived quickly and was served courteously.
Menu: A selection of Lipton & Twinings tea bags (alas!) as well as lavendar and jasmine teas. After an hour of walking up and down Baldwin Ave getitng all hot and dusty, our choice of jasmine really hit the spot. First came the selection of freshly baked scones and muffins, served with home made lemon curd and cream. Divine. Finger sandwiches next - today's selection was pesto on foccaccia, salmon and cream on white bread with lemon peel and curried chicken salad on rye. All bread and pastries baked in-house. Our favourite was the curried chicken. We were served extra portions upon request. Apparently, the proprietor's mother makes the sandwiches and creams by hand every day, so the selection of sandwiches and scones varies. For the dessert portion, we chose the gorgeously thick bread pudding (served with a dollop of fresh whipped cream).
Cost: $10.75 each. You have the option of going a la' carte for the desserts (from the Steakhouse's dinner menu) but i was mainly interested in the Afternoon Tea offerings.
1. No loose-leaf, fresh tea! I don't know WHY, but I got the same selection of tea bags when i had Afternoon Tea at the Ritz, Kapalua. There are health food stores on island that stock loose leaf tea, so i am not sure why tea-bags are used for a Tea service on Maui.
2. Room has no AC, and as this was a particularly hot day, it felt stifling. The courtyard doors were kept open though, to allow for any breeze.
3. Timing. It was almost like Evening tea, having to wait till 4:00pm. The Proprietress informed me she is looking for staff to initiate a 1:00pm - 4:00pm service, instead.
1. $10.75! For a pot of tea (bags) and fresh baked goodies and sandwiches! I don't know where else on Maui you can get a belly filling meal for $10.75. I'm going back next weekend.
2. I don't have to spend time and gas to drive out to Kapalua and then spend $50 at the Ritz for tea-bagged tea service.
Thanks for reading.