What a delightful place, this Chowhound message board! I'm thrilled to have found it.
My husband and I are from Washington DC and will be visiting Montreal October 20 through 25 (returning home on Saturday October 26). We're staying in a B&B in/near Chinatown (cross-streets are St-Laurent and René-Lévesque).
We are young-ish (thirtysomethings) and consider ourselves fairly serious (but fun!) foodies/chowhounds.
Can anyone give me some recommendations for restaurants that we really shouldn't miss?
Some things to keep in mind:
* We (especially I) eat *anything!*
* We love French food (but, see above :D )
* We speak English (but for a few words of French...enough to explain to a Francophone that we don't speak much French!)
* We'll splurge on one or two meals, but mostly we'll be interested in middle-of-the-road prices.
* We are *so* intrigued by this BYO concept. We're oenophiles, too, and there really aren't too many restaurants in the U.S. that encourage you to bring your own wine. None that I know of, at least.
* We're going to the Habs/Penguins game on the 22nd and an OSM concert at Place des Arts on the 23rd, so anything pre-game or pre-/post-show would be appreciated, too.
Thanks in advance for any information you can share. We're really looking forward to our vacation in Montreal, and we can't wait to see your beautiful city and enjoy all that it has to offer.
Patti (and Matt) Gaston