We’re going to KW in early Feb – I’d like to list our dining itinerary and would gratefully appreciate any comments, suggestions, etc. We have been to KW about 10 times over the past 15 -20 years, so things might have changed for better or worse. Here goes:
1) La Trattoria – Always has been our ‘first night in Key West’ place – why change now. Also, IMHO, they serve the best Spaghetti Aglio e Olio AND best Martini we’ve ever had. But: We have to have one of the 2 tables in the front windows – without that, the magic is down a few notches.
2) Square One – Nice atmosphere: live piano, food above average (heard new menu), and the host is a hell of a nice guy. This is about as classy as we like to have it when dining down here.
3) Antonia’s – Most folks seem to think this beats La Trat, but we rate it a close second. The seating is kind of a pain: tables too close, space too ‘formal’. We ate upstairs last time there, and that was a big improvement.
4) Mangoes – We come here for the Key Lime Pie at the end of the meal. I know that this is not fine dining by any means, but we always have a good time here. We like to sit in the back.
5) Santiago’s Bodega or Café Sole – never been, but heard good things online. Menu looks interesting in both places.
6) ??? – Your call.
Ate at Opera, Louie’s, Bagatelle, Alice’s, Marquesa, Siboney, Kelly's, MangiaMangia ,Rooftop – didn’t like.
Loved KayRUMba, but that closed years ago. It was nice sitting on the balcony watching the cops bust somebody at the Scrub Club while sipping one of their rum concoctions.
Used to love Blue Heaven, then it became chic.
Breakfast is usually Camille’s, with Blue Heaven and Sarabeth’s thrown in. (Too bad about the Deli Restaurant closing – loved the diner atmosphere). Gotta hand it to Blue Heaven: you can’t find a better order of toast on the island.
Lunch is a fruit smoothie to tide us over. We tend to gain weight with such good food.
There you have it.
Updated 2 years ago | 5
Updated 1 year ago | 29
Updated 1 year ago | 10
Updated 1 year ago | 36
Updated 11 months ago | 0