As I reorganized my kitchen cupboards looking for food to donate to the annual food drive in my town, I was astonished at how many gadgets I've accrued over the years. All of them are important for one reason or another, but I began to wonder "hmmm... if I could only keep five, what would they be, and why??".
So here's my list (at least for today!):
1. Kitchen timer- Without it, my kitchen would be in a perpetual state of smokiness due to burned foods
2. Chef's Knife- Ok, so you expected this one... Slices, dices, chops, and essentially makes me feel like a "real chef"...
3. Baking Stone- Always in my oven, it regulates the oven temperature even when the door is opened to check on food. Baked goods rise super high, and get light texture, pizza gets a nice crispy crust
4. Microwave Oven- (does that count as a "gadget"?)- Plate warmer, re-heater, defroster and can be used to cook lots of quickie foods (nachos anyone?)
5. Grater- I used it to grate veggies, of course cheese, but also to grate whole nutmeg and other spices (the grater edged my coffee grinder out due to its versatility)
I'm eager to hear what other Chowhounders would choose and why... who knows, maybe we'll discover some new gadgets that might displace ones on our current lists!
Updated 9 months ago | 23
Updated 1 year ago | 46
Updated 8 months ago | 29
Updated 1 year ago | 3
Updated 2 months ago | 3