Hi, Vancity Chowhounds!
I'm doing some advance planning for a visit in August with my husband - we're doing Kelowna for 4 days (Fri-Mon) as our base for wine country, then 3 days (Tues-Thurs) in Vancouver (then Portland and Seattle).
We're in our early 30s, love to travel and eat all kinds of food, focused on local ingredients and specialties. I love vegetables seafood, he prefers meat and pasta, we both love good cocktails and craft beer. We like to mix fine, casual, street and ethnic dining when we travel. Some of our favourite meals recently have been, for reference, at Spring in Paris, Big Star in Chicago, and Bar Isabel in Toronto - we like a spectrum of high and low, as you can see. I've done some research and want your local input!
What we're looking for:
- your recommendations for wineries to visit with good pinot, chard, cab franc, and/or views, and/or restaurants
- your recommendations for meals in wine country and dinner in Kelowna
- your favourites among Vancouver's street carts/trucks/cheaper spots (thoughts on Buck Stop, Meat & Bread, Dunlevy Snack Bar?)
- your favourites among Vancouver's isakaya/Asian/fusion/sushi/ramen type places (thoughts on Bao Bei, Maenam, Bambudda, Yew?)
- best bars/restaurants for cocktails, and/or craft beer
- your favourite among Vancouver's higher end/contemporary spots (Hawksworth, Vij’s, Cioppino’s, L’Abattoir, West, Wildebeest?)
- your favourite places for smaller bites and good drinks (thoughts on Pidgin, Blue Water Cafe, Fish Counter, The Acorn, Farmer's Apprentice?)
We like to one night of bar/food crawling in a trendy neighbourhood when we travel, as a way to spread the love and try all sorts of stuff. If there are places I mentioned or others I missed that might work for a travelling meal (eat at one place, drink at another, eat at another) etc I'd love to hear your suggestions.
Thanks in advance! I can promise I would return the favour if you were coming to TO :)