Potatoes taste great no matter how you make them, but fries are one of their ultimate forms. If you don’t want to go to the trouble of deep frying, though—or you just want a healthier way to enjoy potatoes—this easy baked oven fries recipe is super simple.
What You Need to Make Oven Fries:
- a knife
- a baking sheet
- a spatula
- two russet potatoes
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Old Bay Seasoning (optional; you can also try other spice blends, from za’atar to an everything bagel blend)
USA Pan Extra Large Rimmed Baking Sheet with Nonstick Cooling Rack, $35.99 on Amazon
Pretty much the only equipment you need for easy oven fries.
Steps to Making Oven Fries:
1. Heat the oven to 425° Fahrenheit. It will take at least 20 minutes to warm up properly.
2. Wash the potatoes, and pat dry. Make sure to blot them well; residual moisture will steam in the oven and they won’t get as crisp.
3. Cut the potatoes lengthwise into six wedges each.
4. Scatter the wedges on a baking sheet, drizzle with oil, and generously season.
5. Toss with your hands so they’re fully coated.
6. Put the baking sheet in the oven and set the timer for 20 minutes.
7. Take the potatoes out of the oven and flip them with a spatula. Return the baking sheet to the oven and reset the timer for 20 minutes.
8. Remove the potatoes from the oven and serve with your favorite condiment.
How to Serve Oven Fries
Sure, you can simply swipe them through some ketchup, but for a few more interesting ideas, try sprinkling them with vinegar, dunking them in homemade mayo (add garlic for aioli), or drizzling them with chimichurri. Or check out some other great fry sauce recipes. (Just adjust whatever spices you add to the fries to harmonize with your sauce of choice.)
Header image by Chowhound.