Fried egg and cheese on an everything bagel is one of the great and simple pleasures in life. Add some bacon and it’s darn-near perfection. But what if there was a way to class it up just a touch, making it wholly suitable for your next socially distant brunch party or impending holiday hang? Sound too good to be true? It’s not, and this surefire breafast bake banger requires just five ingredients, all of which you may already have kickin’ it in the cupboard.
Cooking Through Trader Joe’s,” authored by Kelsey Lynch, who earned a big following reviewing Trader Joe’s products via her Instagram account The Everything Bagel Egg Casserole comes by way of a new cookbook called “Trader Joe’s Food Reviews. The IG account offers up Kelsey’s honest opinion on new and existing TJ’s products, while her newly released cookbook spotlights some of the grocery chain’s cult-classic ingredients and products in over 50 original recipes. A warm Indian flatbread smothered in TJ’s masala simmer sauce or lightning-fast coconut cream butternut squash soup with Trader Joe’s potato gnocchi are a few easy recipes you’ll find in it—all inspired by one of the chain’s signature products.
Cooking Through Trader Joe's by Kelsey Lynch, $22.49 on Amazon
Put your Trader Joe's haul to good use with this cookbook from a TJ's super fan.
Within the Trader Joe’s universe, Everything but the Bagel Seasoning has long earned its rightful place as hall-of-famer, and so it’s only natural that a TJ’s-obsessed author like Kelsey would include a recipe spotlighting the zesty blend of dried garlic, onion, poppy and sesame seeds in this deconstructed casserole adaptation of a ubiquitous breakfast staple.
Related Reading: A Nutritionist’s Favorite Things to Buy at Trader Joe’s
The cheesy brunch bake calls for just five ingredients and takes minimal time and effort. Plus it can be made ahead of time and popped in the oven before serving. You could also add any number of things to your egg casserole like peppers and onions, bacon, ham, sausage, or vegan meat. (Just be sure they’re fully cooked, as this casserole’s time in the oven is to quickly bake the egg, brown the bagels, and melt the cheese).
Everything Bagel Egg Casserole
- 6 package everything bagels
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel Seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- Cut bagels into 1-inch cubes and place into a large bowl
- In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, milk, salt, Everything but the Bagel Seasoning, and cheese
- Pour egg mixture over the bagels, stir, and let soak for 30 minutes to overnight
- Stir the mixture again before pouring into the baking dish so that cheese and seasoning are evenly dispersed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a greased 9”x13” baking dish, pour bagel and egg mixture into dish
- Bake casserole for 30-35 minutes
- Top with green onions and serve
Header image by Kelsey Lynch.