The Instant Pot has long been revered as the do-it-all kitchen appliance, a pot that’s magical capabilities can impress even the most seasoned of home cooks. From making homemade yogurt to baking a whole cake, the Instant Pot can transform even the most mundane of ingredients into full-fledged meals.
Related Reading: The Best Instant Pot Accessories for Healthy Eating
The Everything Mediterranean Instant Pot® Cookbook, $13.39 on Amazon
So why not let the Instant Pot take the hard work out of a myriad of Mediterranean dishes? That’s the impetus behind “The Everything Mediterranean Instant Pot Cookbook,” a book by blogger Kelly Jagers. The comprehensive guide is filled with a slew of healthy Mediterranean meals that can be on the table in minutes—thanks to the wizardry of the Instant Pot. The recipes skew vegetarian, like lentil chili, spaghetti squash with mushrooms, and toasted orzo salad, but there are a handful of meat- and fish-focused recipes, too (think shrimp pasta with feta cheese and citrus-spiced chicken).
Instant Pot Duo, $79 on Amazon
Next time you’re in the market for a hearty snack but don’t want to purchase something overflowing with sugar and saturated fats, try out Kelly’s recipe for red pepper hummus. The creamy dip starts with chickpeas and olive oil steaming in the Instant Pot before it’s whisked into a food processor to be blitzed with roasted red peppers, tahini, lemon, garlic, and spices. Serve the orange dip with a side of crisped-up pita chips or triangles of fresh pita. After one taste, it’ll be impossible to go back to the store-bought stuff.
Excerpted from The Everything® Mediterranean Instant Pot® Cookbook by Kelly Jaggers. Copyright © 2020 by Simon & Schuster, Inc. Used with permission of the publisher, Adams Media, an imprint of Simon & Schuster. All rights reserved.
Red Pepper Hummus Recipe
Roasted red bell peppers have a smoky yet sweet flavor that is enhanced by the creamy chickpeas and tahini in this recipe. If you like spicy foods, add a bit of cayenne pepper. Start with 1/8 teaspoon and add more until it is as spicy as you like.
Red Pepper Hummus
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon plus 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 cup chopped roasted red pepper, divided
- 1⁄3 cup tahini
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- Place chickpeas, water, and 1 tablespoon oil in the Instant Pot®. Close the lid, set steam release to Sealing, press the Manual button, and set time to 30 minutes.
- When the timer beeps, quick-release the pressure until the float valve drops. Press the Cancel button and open lid. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid.
- Place chickpeas, 1⁄3 cup roasted red pepper, remaining 1/4 cup oil, tahini, cumin, salt, black pepper, paprika, lemon juice, and garlic in a food processor and process until creamy. If hummus is too thick, add reserved cooking liquid 1 tablespoon at a time until it reaches desired consistency. Serve at room temperature, garnished with reserved roasted red pepper on top.
Header image courtesy of The Everything Mediterranean Instant Pot Cookbook.