Whether you’re celebrating by heading to your favorite St. Patrick’s Day parade or just hanging out at home with family and friends, we’ve got an amazing cocktail for you. From holiday takes on all-time favorites to bright green punches, margaritas, and Bloody Marys, you’ll definitely be refreshed and ready to take on all of the St. Patrick’s Day activities that your heart desires.
We mixed up three of our own above: a boozy take on a Shamrock Shake; a bright green “Emerald Mist” sipper that packs a punch; and a classic Irish coffee to keep you cozy (thanks to the fact that it’s a warm drink and thanks to the shot of Irish whiskey)—but check out even more St. Paddy’s Day drinks from bartenders across the U.S. And don’t forget to say “Sláinte!”
This zesty St. Patrick’s Day spin on the Moscow Mule is greater than gold (and it’s built in the glass, so you don’t even need a cocktail set). From Galley, the bar located in the Hilton on West Palm Beach, it will leave you refreshed and ready to take on the St. Paddy’s Day festivities!
- 2 ounces Irish whiskey
- 6 ounces ginger beer
- 1 ounce lime juice
- Lime wedges to garnish
1. Combine whiskey, ginger beer, and lime juice in your luckiest copper mug and stir.
2. Garnish with a lime wedge.
Modern Home Copper Moscow Mule Mug, $9.93 at Walmart
Your classic copper mug, with a rounded handle for comfy gripping and sipping.
Irish Whiskey on Drizly (prices vary)
Explore your options and find your lucky liquor charm.
Porter Beer Float
This drink from Claudia Sidoti, Head Chef at HelloFresh, just might be the most decadent on the list—and it’s delicious. Your friends will be clamoring for a taste and a photo for their Instagram feed! (If you want to get extra-fancy, try making your own lambic marshmallows for this drink.)
- 1/3 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream
- 2 bottles of dark beer (porter or stout)
1. Melt chocolate chips and heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl for 30-45 seconds.
2. Stir to combine and use a spoon to drizzle over rim of glass.
3. Set aside to cool.
4. Fill each glass with 1/2 cup vanilla ice cream.
5. Pour dark beer over top just before serving.
6. Add a toasted marshmallow to earn bonus points at your St. Patrick’s Day party!
Tintec Culinary Blow Torch, $13.47 on Amazon
Sure, you can toast marshmallows under the broiler, but isn't a kitchen torch more fun?
Irish Bar Fight
The Garland in North Hollywood’s signature restaurant, The Front Yard, is starting a scuffle with their drink, the Irish Bar Fight. This light, refreshing cocktail will have you ready to do a jig (but hopefully not throw any punches)!
1. Combine ingredients in in a mixing tin and shake.
2. Strain into glass with one large ice cube.
Samuelworld Large Silicone Ice Cube Tray, 2 for $13.99 on Amazon
Need to chill? Oversize ice cubes do the job without diluting your drink.
This drink is like a mint chocolate cake in a glass—and it’s delicious! Created by Pamela Wiznitzer of Seamstress NYC, if this cocktail doesn’t bring you luck, it will definitely bring you joy.
- 1 1/2 ounces Irish cream liqueur
- 1 ounce Irish whiskey
- 1/2 ounce creme de cacao
- 1/2 ounce mint liquor
1. Combine ingredients in a mixing tin and shake lightly.
2. Strain over crushed ice.
3. Garnish with mint and shaved chocolate.
OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler, $8.99 on Amazon
A great semi-secret weapon for making shaved chocolate garnishes.
Aptly named, this drink from Del Frisco’s Grille Irvine features cucumber and lemon. It’s sure to leave you feeling refreshed and youthful. (*You can make your own lemon sour by mixing equal parts fresh lemon juice and simple syrup.)
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1 1/2 ounces lemon sour*
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of diced cucumber
- 10 mint leaves
1. Pour into shaker and mix.
2. Strain into a chilled martini glass.
3. Garnish with a mint sprig.
Vodka on Drizly (prices vary)
Explore your vodka options if you don't want to venture to the liquor store.
Lucky Lime Margarita
Get lucky with this lime and pineapple margarita from HelloFresh. Trust me, it’s as refreshing as it is charmed. If you have time to plan ahead, infuse your tequila with jalapeño a day or two beforehand.
- 1 cup silver tequila
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 ounce triple sec
- 2 round slices of pineapple
- 1 lime (juiced) + 1 lime (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons agave
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Crushed ice
- Kosher salt for the glass rim
1. Cut the pineapple into 1-inch thick rings, discarding the rind and removing the core.
2. Add the tequila (jalapeño-infused or plain), some fresh jalapeños (optional/to taste), and all the other wet ingredients to a blender.
3. Blend until smooth.
4. Strain to remove pulp from the pineapple.
5. Salt the rim of the glass.
6. Pour over crushed ice.
7. Garnish with a pineapple wedge or lime.
Nutribullet Balance Smart Blender, $99 (originally $179) at Walmart
Make great tasting, nutritious, and satisfying smoothies—or mixed drinks!
Tanteo Jalapeño Tequila on Drizly (price varies)
You can also buy spicy tequila already infused with jalapeño in some locations.
Talk about a festive martini! The Grasshopper Martini from the Hilton New Orleans Riverside is minty and rich—not to mention its gorgeous green hue.
- 3/4 ounce creme de menthe
- 3/4 ounce white creme de cacao
- 1/4 ounce heavy cream
- 1 cup ice
1. Combine creme de menthe, creme de cacao, cream, and ice in a mixing tin.
2. Shake until chilled.
3. Strain into chilled cocktail glass.
DeKuyper Creme De Cocoa White Liqueur on Drizly (price varies)
Add rich chocolate flavor to your drinks without changing their color.
Green Bloody Mary
- Irish whiskey
- 1 pound of green tomatillos, blanched and cut into chunks for easier blending
- 1/2 pounds yellow tomatoes, cut into chunks for easier blending
- 2 seedless cucumbers, peeled (if using regular cucumbers, remove seeds too)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1 jalapeño (seeds and stem removed)
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- Kosher and celery salt to taste
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
2. Add in 1 ounce of whiskey to every 12 ounces of blended drink
3. Garnish with celery, tomato, bacon, and whatever else you choose!
Preservation & Co Pickled Brussels Sprouts, $13.50 at Mouth
We're partial to these pickled sprouts for garnishing bloodies of any color (or just for snacking).
The Lucky Drink
This bright green fruity punch from Drake’s in Lexington, Kentucky will definitely bless you with the luck of the Irish.
- 3/4 ounce whiskey
- 3/4 ounce peach schnapps
- 3/4 ounce green melon liquor
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce Island Blue Pucker
- lemon lime soda
1. Add all of the ingredients except for the soda into a mixing tin and shake.
2. Pour over fresh ice and top with soda.
DeKuyper Island Punch Pucker Liqueur on Drizly (price varies)
Sometimes you're not in the mood to be sophisticated, and that's okay.
This cocktail, which was created by the beverage director at The Late Late Bar & Spirit Grocer Nick Fogel and named after a suburb of Dublin, is fresh, fruity, and delicious (and a cousin to our Irish Fix recipe). The basil leaves give it a gorgeous St. Patrick’s touch of green.
- 1 1/2 ounces Irish whiskey
- 1/2 ounce aperol
- 1/2 ounce lemon
- 1/4 ounce simple syrup
- basil sprig for garnish
- 1 pint of strawberries
- 1 pint of sugar
- 3 large finely shredded basil leaves
1. Cut strawberries into small pieces.
2. Combine with basil and sugar and mix vigorously.
3. Cover the strawberries and store for up to 12 hours.
4. Muddle 3 bar spoons of macerated strawberries in a shaker.
5. Combine and shake the remaining ingredients in a mixing tin.
6. Strain into a rocks glass and garnish with basil.
For more St. Patrick’s Day drink ideas, consider incorporating green Chartreuse into cocktails, mix up a Guinness milkshake, or go with a Guinness punch to serve a rowdy crowd. Get even more festive recipes, tips, and tricks at our St. Patrick’s Day headquarters.
All featured products are curated independently by our editors. When you buy something through our retail links, we may receive a commission. For more great hand-picked products, check out the Chowhound Shop.
Header image by Chowhound.