Who said your lunchbox can't be fancy? Simplicity meets elegance in this easy-to-follow pastrami sandwich recipe that can be made in under 10 minutes with just 5 ingredients from your pantry.
The ratio of meat to bread to condiment is in perfect harmony. You also get to experience a variety of flavors including salty, sweet and slightly spicy. The savoriness of the well-seasoned and smokey pastrami meat and the milkiness of the mozzarella cheese pair exceptionally well with the natural and crisp sweetness of the Bartlett pear slices. The mustard gives the sandwich a nice kick. The textural contrast is well-balanced between the crispy bread, chewy pastrami, soft fruit and moist cheese.
EASY PASTRAMI, MOZZARELLA & PEAR SANDWICH RECIPE
(1) Pastrami (7 slices)
(2) Mozzarella Cheese (2 slices)
(3) Bartlett Pear (6 slices, from half of a whole fruit)
(4) Dave's Killer Bread (2 slices)
(5) Mustard (1 tablespoon)
(1) Spread mustard onto both sides of the bread, add pastrami and mozzarella onto one slice.
(2) Toast the first slice of bread (with the pastrami and mozzarella) for 3 - 5 minutes, until cheese is melted.
(3) Take it out of the oven and add pear slices on top of the melted cheese and pastrami. Then add the second slice of bread on top.
(4) Toast the sandwich in the oven for another 2 minutes.
For a quick and healthy side, slice up half of a bell pepper and eat it with some hummus or mashed avocado.
Use your toaster oven instead of your full-size oven in order to save energy.
I'm a SF Bay Area based food photographer and blogger. I love documenting all things food related, from the taste to the experience, from the chefs and restaurant owners to their stories and journeys.