Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Slow Cooker Rice Pudding
Easy Banana Pudding
Easy Rice Pudding
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 cup short-grain or long-grain white rice
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar, plus more as needed
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- Toppings such as chopped nuts, dried or fresh fruit, cinnamon, or nutmeg (optional)
Is rice pudding the best comfort dessert of all time? This recipe is convincing enough—it’s simple and satisfying, and comes together in less than half an hour. All you do is combine milk, raw rice, sugar, and a pinch of salt in a saucepan and simmer for about 20 minutes. Stir in a bit of vanilla or almond extract and boom, you’re done. You can serve as is, or dress it up with accessories of your choice: nuts, a dash of cinnamon, dried or fresh fruit—the sky (and the resources of your pantry) is the limit.
For more, check out our Slow Cooker Rice Pudding, Champorado (Filipino Chocolate Rice Pudding), and Creamy Rice Pudding with Boiled Plums.
- 1Place the milk, rice, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar has dissolved.
- 2Lower the heat to a bare simmer and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and the mixture thickens, about 20 minutes.
- 3Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla or almond extract. Taste, adding additional sugar or toppings as desired.