Monday night, 20 chowhounds (including four year-old chowprincess, Maia) kicked-off another great year of chowing by feasting on nearly 40% of the Sichuan specialties offered at Spices! II. The garish, multi-colored décor, strobe lights, and thumping Taiwanese rock videos pumped up our party mood.
Marcella, the writing half of the Marcelory team, celebrated her birthday with us with Gregory and Maia on hand. Another new face, Leon, enthused, where else would I have the chance to try so many dishes at once? Victoria confessed that she had already eaten here nine times maybe shell tell us about her other favorite dishes. Jen Maiser had photo duty and will soon share some pictures. Karen RWCFoodie summarized the meal at evenings end with a satisfied sigh saying, Weve been ma-lad!
The list of dishes we ordered, along with the *spice levels indicated on the menu, follows, and the dinerss will comment on their favorites. Prices were easy on the pocketbook with a cost of $20 per person, inclusive, and plenty leftover to take home.
37. **Spices! Numbing Spicy Pork Kidney, $3.95
38. **Hot & Spicy Beef Combination, $3.95
39. **Spicy Chinese Bacon with Garlic, $3.95
40. **Numbing Spicy Beef Tendon, $3.95
43. * Spicy Pig Ear with Red Oil, $3.95
45. **Numbing Spicy Pork Intestine, $3.95
50. Scallion Salad Noodle, $2.95
51. **Chicken with Red Oil (mouth-watering), $5.95
54. Marinated Cucumber, $2.95
59. Crispy Salty Duck, $4.95
61. Scallion Pancake, $2.95 (two orders)
62. * Won Ton in Red Oil, $4.25
122. Fish Fillet w/Pickle Cabbage Soup, $6.95 for large (one and a half orders)
Family Meals: 3 items for $17.95
82. * Shredded Pork with Pickled Chili
89. * Stir-fried Potato Strips
90. * Dry Braised String Beans
95. * Tan-tan Noodle, $5.25
1. **Cumin Lamb, $8.95
2. **Numbing Spicy Conch (cold), $8.95
4. * Smoked Beef Shank (cold), $4.95
16. * Fire-Burst! Pork Stomach, $6.95
25. * Silky Tofu with Seafood, $8.95
26. ***Fish Fillet Bowl with Flaming Red Oil (water-cooked), $7.95
Plus steamed rice and for some cold, milky and sweet soothing, we sampled various flavors of blended fruit smoothies (Sagittarius, Libra, Pisces, Cancer, etc.).
291 6th Ave. & Clement