I was with a group of 9 for a Dine About Town dinner at Scott Howard last Friday, 12 January. Some details escape me (blessed wine!), but my taste buds have a good memory.
Overall it was a very enjoyable meal, and $32.00 was a good price for the three courses, though I didn't care for dessert. That said, I would re-consider this restaurant for a night of fine dining, but only during the week. Service was attentive and friendly once we were seated.
The table started with some nice raw oysters and a tasting of the cauliflower soup; gratis because we had to wait 45 minutes for our table (due to lingering early diners).
- Hama hama oysters Serrano chili salsa • Rice vinegar & sake mignonette
- Cauliflower soup Ancho chile syrup
Wine #1 was the Sauvignon Blanc, Pascal Jolivet, Sancerre, Loire Valley, France, 05 and #2 was a Pinot Noir (I didn't pick so i don't recall the name). #3 and #4 were suggested by the Sommelier in our price range.
To start I had the Hamachi appetizer
- Hamachi Pickled cucumber • Curried mayonnaise • Ponzu • Herb salad
This was three generously cut pieces of fish, not too chilled, with very nice accompanying sauces and greens.
We ended up passing our entrees around, and I liked everything I tasted on my side of the table.
- Maine scallops with Maitake mushrooms • Potato puree • Saffron sauce
The scallops were perfectly cooked, generously-sized and the sauce well-balanced.
- Pork Shoulder with celery root puree, braised kael, maple syrup glaze
Another fine combination of flavors. Succulent pork.
We also had two orders of the signature Pork Belly, which I happily ingested.
- Pork belly Celery root puree • Mustard greens • Cider glaze
I tried another entree, I think the Lamb Loin, but at this point our wine drinking was in full effect...
- Lamb loin with sunchokes, artichokes, endives, olive jus
Desserts were fine I suppose, but I don't generally care for dessert. I enjoyed the cheese selection, and we shared a bottle of Roederer Estate, Brut, Anderson Valley, California, NV
Updated 1 year ago | 0
Updated 2 years ago | 9
Updated 5 months ago | 8
Updated 1 year ago | 15
Updated 1 year ago | 9