Last time I tried to make an "indian" inspired dinner it turned out kind of blah, definitely not the rich spices and flavors that I am used to having in restaurants. I have decided to give it another go and want to make saag chicken. I am on the SB Diet right now so no carbs, bad fats, sugar, etc. I found a few recipes online and have no idea which one will be best. Here is the one I am thinking of using, any advice or anything I should change about this recipe? I would obviously have to leave out the butter, use EVOO instead of veg oil and use light milk. Thanks!
3 pounds chicken pieces, skinned
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 large onions, minced
2 large tomatoes, crushed
1-inch piece ginger, minced
4 tbsp milk
4 bunches spinach, washed and chopped
2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 large cardamom pods
7 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp salt
* Fry the chicken lightly in 4 tablespoon of oil for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned and set aside.
* Put the spinach into a deep pan; add 1/4 cup water. Bring to boil and remove from heat. When cool, grind in blender and set aside.
* Heat the remaining oil and add ginger, garlic and onions; sauté until lightly brown. Add tomatoes, salt, cayenne, coriander powder, turmeric, cloves, and cardamom.
* Sprinkle with one tablespoon water. Cook for 10 minutes over low heat. Add chicken and milk. Simmer until the chicken is tender.
* Add spinach and garam masala. Cook until spinach starts sticking to pan. Remove from heat. Add butter to chicken saag and cover until ready to serve.