1. Drive to Saxis, little town on Chesapeake Bay on the Eastern Shore of Virginia.
2. Find and convince some gnarly-looking guy on the town dock to dip some soft crabs right out of his shedding box for you.
3. Drive straight home, cut off the faces, rinse out the innards, remove gills and apron. Rinse well and pat dry.
4. Dredge in simple but delicious New England Fry Mix (from Jasper White's Summer Shack Cookbook). I'm guessing plain old seasoned flour works great too.
5. Saute in an inch or so of bubbling fat – I used peanut oil. Drain on paper towels.
6. Drink beer, tear crabs apart with fingers, dip in remoulade sauce (also from Summer Shack Cookbook).
7. Lick fingers.
I'll never be able to eat them anywhere else again. Despite the adventure of cleaning, fresh is where it's at!
Updated 1 year ago | 7
Updated 5 months ago | 29
Updated 1 year ago | 38
Updated 1 year ago | 3
Updated 1 year ago | 14