I have watched a lot of Gordon Ramsay videos on the internet where he pan-sears fish, like sea bass.
1) what is the best kind of pan to use to pan sear fish? which brand do u recommend which is easy to clean and evenly distributes the heat well?
2) in one of Gordon Ramsay's videos, he scores the skin of the sea bass before he puts it in the pan, skin side down. i couldnt find any sea bass in my store, so i got chillean sea bass. i tried using 5 different knives, and nothing would cut through the skin without really shredding it. was it that i didnt have the right knife or is the skin on chillean sea bass different from regular sea bass?
3) i have a chef's knife from cutco and it still doesnt cut through tomatoes as cleanly and easily as i would expect from such an expensive knife. when i watch gordon ramsay's videos, he uses knives that are not serrated, so i know with the chef's knife i am at least in the right direction. what kind of knife do i need to use to slice tomatoes cleanly (ie, not pushing down on the skin, so that the sides end up perfectly smooth)?
4) gordon ramsay always uses pepper from a pepper mill. is there any difference between crushing your own pepper and using regular table pepper other than the aesthetic quality?
5) after i pan-seared the chillean sea bass, my apartment was very smoky for a few hours afterwards, and smelled like fish for 2 days. is there any trick to preventing that when you dont have an exhaust over the stovetop, besides just keeping your windows open?
Thank you for answering all these questions; i know they are a lot. but i am just trying to get into cooking now and am very excited.